Jacki's News

Read here to catch up on my latest news - cause we all know how bad I am with email!

Monday, October 24, 2005

The Danes visit Hamilton!

Mogens and Inger arrived late Saturday afternoon, after driving from New Plymouth - stopping at Waitomo Caves on the way. They couldn't get over seeing that many glowworms in one place. I don't think they'd actually seen them before at all!

We didn't do much on Saturday. Just had dinner and went for a quick wander around the town.

Sunday started off going to Woodlands Homestead. It's an old homestead from the 1800's, just outside of the city limits. We had a wander around inside the house and then went outside to the gardens. The grounds of this homestead are massive! It has it's own lake!


Mogens outside the Woodlands Homestead


From there, we went to the Hamilton City Gardens. The rose garden isn't in bloom yet so we wandered around the international gardens. There were quite a few different ones, including Japan, China, India and Italy. We enjoyed a sunny lunch on the terrace of the cafe, overlooking the big pond in the Gardens.

Inger at the China Garden

Later that afternoon, we tried to get on the Waipa Delta, but it was booked by a wedding party. So it was back to my house for coffee in the sun on the back lawn.

Jo came around to meet Inger and Mogens and stay for dinner. Of course, we had to have a lamb roast for dinner, which had been cooking in the slow cooker all day. It made the house smell so good all day!


Inger and Mogens left early the next day, as they had to get through Auckland before the Labour Weekend traffic started.

It wasn't too hard to say goodbye to them as I know I will see them next year when I go to Europe. But once they had driven out of the driveway, I actually felt quite sad. I'd been building up to their trip for several months and now it was over.

It was SO great to see them. I am still so impressed with Mogens' amount of English. I had no idea he had been learning for his trip to NZ. Hope they enjoyed the rest of their trip around the top half of the North Island. There are so many beautiful things to see up there.